Sunday, May 18, 2008

Social Networking

The first article I read was about social networking. It informed me of how widespread social networking is. It was also very interesting to hear that during the Virginia Tech shootings, social networking was a way for people to check on friends. I never thought about how it could be used in a situation like that. The value of social networking was without a doubt seen on that day. The second article was on web 2.0. It was interesting to see where technology is taking a place like the library. No longer is the library the only place students can access information. Also, it creates a more interactive library for teens. The advacnes are far different from my experience going to the library. The last article was on Social software in teacher education. The article looked at the pro's and con's of social networking. The one thing that surprised me was the ability for faculty members to see students facebooks. I think students need to know who is looking at their facebooks before they decide what they want to post on it.

3 comments:

JeffMcFall said...

I agree with you. Anything that connects us to what the students are thinking or saying will only help us understand them better. As we understand our students better, we can become more effective teachers.

kvieira said...

I read the article about the Web 2.0 and how it is helping students research without having to drive to the library. Today it seems so easy to look up what is needed to write a paper at home instead of making the drive to the library.

Scott Sailor, EdD ATC said...

I advise all my students to think about everything they post online. Savvy employers are using all those resources as ways to check on potential hires.